Which institutions are eligible?

  • State, county, municipal, tribal, or other non-Federal units of government responsible for the care and custody of permanent records
  • University and college special collections and archives
  • Historical societies, museums, libraries, and other cultural heritage institutions who care for documentary collections
  • Other non-profit organizations (must have 501(c)(3) status)

What records are eligible?

  • Manuscripts, personal and family papers, organizational and business archives
  • Permanent records of enduring and historical value created by non-Federal units of government
  • Collections of photographs, motion pictures, sound recordings, and electronic records
  • Unpublished architectural, cartographic, and engineering drawings